Thursday, July 3, 2008

Carbon footprints

I know, I know, we drive Corvettes. They are not Priuses (don't think I have seen a Prius in the plural so forgive my spelling). So I guess we are making a significant carbon footprint with them.

But...I believe we can offset the impact of our cars by simple things we can do in other areas of our lives. A good example is recycling. I have been recycling since my kids were very small. I remember one of the first Earth weeks that was celebrated where I started imagining putting the big lawn bag of trash our family generated twice week or more out on the middle of the back yard. It wasn't hard to picture the pile of trash bags growing larger and larger. Then I pictured my two children standing on top of a mountain of trash. I have been a regular recycler ever since.

I recently spent a a couple of bucks on two of the reusable black shopping bags from Publix. It took awhile to get used to them but now I find they are handier than the plastic bags. I try to keep them in the car so when I stop after work, I just grab them and go in. I do recyle shopping bags but not using them to begin with is better, I think. I have noticed that many stores offer this option now, either free or for a very nominal price for the bags.

Speaking of stopping by the store, the habit of planning errands that can be done on the way to and from work takes a little work on my part. But it can be done, I just have to think ahead for the coming work week. We are fortunate to have many stores and businesses nearby making it convenient to stop in. I hate to go back out for stuff after I have come home from work.

Well, I will get off of my soapbox for now .................

No comments: