Tuesday, December 29, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

It's that time of year again. People are busy making their New Year's Resolutions. Usually I don't bother with this process but this year I am making a few myself. I resolve to blog more regularly, I have gotten very lax in this department. I resolve to blog about more and sundry items that are important to me.

Another resolution is that I consume more fiber on a daily basis. I had my first colonoscopy this year and was told by the physician that I need to eat more fiber. Excuse me? I thought I was living on horse feed as it was. For the last 2-3 years, I have been making my own granola and consuming a properly measured portion every morning (with fat free half and half, no less!). Also, since I have started taking prescription medicine in the last year that "stops up the plumbing" so to speak, I have been having a nightly snack of a Quaker Oats High Fiber Bar accompanied by 6-8 dried prunes. Yummy! Not!

In the last three or four months, I have been researching (in my vast amounts of free time) the possibilty of developing a recipe for my own high fiber bars that would not have all the sugar and preservatives of the store bought one. I also want to take my very excellent granola recipe and "kick it up a notch" by adding some whole oats.

I placed an order this morning with a company I found online earlier this fall called Bob's Red Mill http://www.bobsredmill.com/ They have a wonderful website and I ordered some whole oat groats to use in my attempt to make my own fiber bars. Also, I ordered some Scottish oatmeal to use in my granola. They have wonderful, healthy things for sale and I love looking at the site when I have the time.

I wish my fellow Carolina Vettepackers, family and friends, a Happy, Safe, and Healthy New Year!!!!

No comments: